Dear Members and Friends,
First off. I want to say that I miss you all and our Club Life! It has been about two months now that we have all been quarantined and I initially thought by May things would open up and we would be on our way to what was once considered “normal”. Today, I sit back and wonder when will normal return? And what will it look like?
What started as one cancellation, a postponed event, and an affair that we cannot even dream of planning, has really taken a toll on those who are extremely social. Technology has been a life saver allowing us to stay connected via phones, texts, pictures, social media and Zoom. Who would have thought that we would be embracing technology as we are today?
I would like to provide an update on club events as well as other affairs that we would typically be participating in as a group.
German Hungarian Events
- Our Annual General Membership meeting was cancelled and will be rescheduled to a later date.
- While we completely missed the Spring season of Soccer we are hoping and praying the pitch is opened and we can get out to enjoy a good game of soccer; sooner than later. I have heard that the UGH players have been participating in “Training Wars” to stay fit!
- The Club 110th Gala Celebration has been rescheduled to Saturday, November 28th with a Sunday Funday Celebration and Cultural Group Reunion. If you have any questions, please contact Nichole Deely at 215-806-1998. As per Nichole we are still getting some new reservations.
- The Spring Penny Party has been cancelled.
- Fall Penny Party is under review and the date will be confirmed.
- Our beloved Kirchweih Festival is scheduled for Saturday, November 14 and it will take place. We are looking at modifications to accommodate a safe social distancing plan.
- While there were some new events, we were going to add this year obviously those are on hold.
Being members of the Gauverband Nordamerika and the Landesverband der Donauschwaben we participate in yearly or every other year meetings that include discussions regarding organizational business, elections, dance competitions, and future Gaufest and Treffen hosts. Both organizations were scheduled to host their meetings the last weekend in April and were cancelled. Below is an update of future events and fests for each organization.
Gauverband Nordamerika (GNA)
- The GNA Board met via Zoom to take care of any necessary business that required attention.
- The Bayrischer Lowe has been cancelled and the Gau Vorplattler has requested that those competitors worthy to compete receive an invitation to the next BL competition to be held in 2021 in Bavaria.
- Since the GNA was not able to host the entire member delegation for a full meeting and election of officers the 1. Gau Vorstand has asked all Officers to continue serving in their position for another 2 years until a Delegates Meeting can he held.
- 28. Gaufest will be held at Harrah’s in Atlantic City, NJ and hosted by Edelweiss-Passaic of NJ. The dates of the event are July 8 – July 11, 2021.
- The next Gauverband Delegates meeting will be hosted by the Enzian Volkstanzgruppe in Delaware and held April 29 – May 1, 2022. A Nice short ride for us!
- 29. Gaufest will be held at the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky, OH. We had a great time at this venue last time and STV Bavaria of Cleveland, Ohio is excited to host again and have us all back! The dates are July 13-16, 2023.
Landesverband der Donauschwaben
- The annual meeting of member clubs was cancelled and postponed to the Sunday of the Treffen which is scheduled to be over Labor Day weekend in Cleveland. More recently we participated in a survey asking the likelihood and expected attendance if the Treffen would be held. We will have an update on the status of the event very soon.
- The Annual Memorial Day Soccer tournament has been cancelled and I know may of the players and fans were disappointed as this is always a very good weekend.
- Treffen 2021 will be held in Trenton. We are very excited it will be in our backyard and that we will be a part of this excellent opportunity to host our friends here on the East Coast. As more information becomes available, we will be share the details!
Steuben Day Observance Association
- Philadelphia Sommerfest is scheduled to be held at the Cannstatter Volksfest Verein on Saturday, June 27th
- For the 2020-2021 season the Association will not crown a new court and the current Queen and Court will represent the community for another year.
Looking for a good German Curbside Pick-up? Need an adult beverage?
Please support these restaurants as they do not disappoint and have been very good to the German Hungarians! Visit them on the web or on Facebook
- Austrian Village, Rockledge – Curbside pick-up with advance order/payment
- Brauhaus Schmitz, Philadelphia – Curbside pick-up with advance order/payment
- Trifecta/1675 Spirits, Trevose/Feasterville – Visit them on Facebook for details
So, at this point I pray for the health and safety of all of you and that very soon the day will come where we can gather over food, beverages, music, dance and camaraderie!
Stay safe and well!
Janet Fricker Malofiy